The course is taught online through very detailed, clear, well-organised materials which enable you to study at times of your choosing. You belong to an online class and you have your own online tutor who gives you help and support.
GCSE English Language is a one year course beginning in September and ending with the exam in May or June the following year.
Wherever you study GCSE English Language, the course requirements are the same, consisting of:
- Four written coursework assignments (40% of the total mark).
- Two exams (60% of the total mark).
- Three Speaking and Listening coursework assignments.
Your tutor contacts you each week and guides you to the webpages that you study to complete each part of the course. Everything is clear and easy to follow. You submit your work to your tutor who marks it and gives detailed advice and feedback.
The government has recently introduced new supervised coursework regulations. You will need to come to The Sheffield College on at least two occasions between September and February. You can prepare your coursework assignments at home but you have to come into a college centre to complete them. If you are unable to come to Sheffield on these occasions, it is not possible to take the course online.
GCSE English Language Online is probably the best known online course in the UK. It has been running since 2001 and over one thousand people have gained grades A*-C. Almost 45% of those learners get A or A* and our pass rate at C or above is 99.7%.
The quality of the tutoring and the detailed teaching enables our students to get such incredible results and is also the reason why the course has won five national awards.
You need to have:
- Suitable English skills - our application form will help us to assess this. However, please note that GCSE English is not suitable for people who are not yet fluent speakers of English.
- Adequate study time (up to 6 hours per week) for the duration of the course.
- Access to a reliable computer with a broadband connection (Unfortunately we are not able to provide technical support).
- Use of Microsoft Word.
- Experience of using Microsoft Word, the web and email, including sending and receiving email attachments.
- An individual email address and convenient home or work access to the Internet.
How to apply
The application form for GCSE English Online is available here.
If you have any queries, please contact us on:
Telephone: +44 0114 260 3210
Email: Online Learning Administrator
Post: Online Learning, The Sheffield College, Granville Road, Sheffield S2 2RL, UK.